[X Newbies] OT: "Propaganda"

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg253 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 17 17:33:30 PDT 2004

On Apr 17, 2004, at 5:02 PM, Steven Rogers wrote:

> I suggest you think of this list as a meeting room with "Mac Newbies"
> on the door, the posts as discussion inside the room, and your (and
> any other) sigs on current political issues as an outburst in an
> otherwise orderly discussion.
>
> The last time this happened to me in a physical setting was at a
> school parent meeting where the school counselor took advantage of the
> meeting to give a 2-3 minute outburst speech about how President Bush
> is destroying our country. While we (both those for and against Bush)
> were thinking "we didn't come here to listen to this!", he was no
> doubt thinking that only his brilliant intellect could free us from
> the prison of our own ignorance.
>
> Your post shows exactly that kind of disregard for the list members'
> purpose in coming here, plus the amazing arrogance to think that we
> want or need to hear your take on today's hot political controversies.
>
> SR

As a person who is open minded and not generally offended by "sigs" on
lists, I am beginning to feel like those against the use of politically
or religiously provocative "sigs" are making more sense. They are
winning. The EGO is a very funny thing. It is terrified of just
blending into a faceless crowd where nobody will know what it's going
through. However, most of the more active members of this list do not
need sigs to get attention ;-) We are a wild bunch. At first I found it
strange that the sig that started the whole thing was directing us to a
place where we could learn about Jesus (in addition to Mac and Palm
software and advice.) Having been raised in a Christian home it did not
even raise an eyebrow on me. OK, I guess it did for a moment.  But it
did not upset me. Then I kept reading through the week, having my mind
opened more and I started to think, "What if I was Muslim, or Hindu, or
Buddhist?" Would I find the sig in question innocuous then? Or would it
offend me. If I were a diehard Bush supporter, would I be offended and
insulted by some of the political sigs? I have enjoyed this discussion,
though at times it has been more than challenging. I doubt that
anything is really going to change, given the nature of the EGO, and
probably that's best. I think everyone has had an opportunity to
reflect on the situation, and decide if their sig is meant to educate
or offend.
I am going away for a week, and will unsubscribe and return next week.
I will not be surprised to find this discussion still going on, hahaha.
Anyway, have fun. See you next week.
Greg C.