[X Newbies] Managing Attachments in Mail.app

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Thu Aug 5 11:30:06 PDT 2004

On Aug 5, 2004, at 07:24, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

>  In Eudora I was able to "Get Info" on the "attachment folder" to find
> out how many kb/mb of memory the attachments were taking up. I'm not
> sure where to look in Mail.

Hi Mark,

Mail keeps the attachment with the message (as it should, IMHO), not in
a centralized "Attachments" folder like Eudora.  Therefore, it's a bit
tricky to figure out just how much the attachments are taking up by
themselves.  You can see how much space each mailbox is taking up,
though.  Someone else may have the nice & GUI way, but I couldn't find
one easily [Mail 1.3.8 (v618)].

To find the size of mailboxes that are resident on your computer, hop
over to your home directory > Library > Mail > Mailboxes.  I do this in
Column view with "show item info" enabled, so I can see a nice list of
all my mail boxes.  When I click on a particular one, it shows me how
large it is.  Again, this is the size of all of the messages and the
attachments together.

If you just want the total size of all of your mailboxes, then just go
a "Get Info" on ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes

If all your mailboxes are on an IMAP server, then I don't know the
answer to getting the size.  I have a little Applescript icon that
appears in my Mail menu bar.  I ran the "get size of IMAP mailboxes"
script from it and it eventually results in an error, so I didn't find
out how big my IMAP mailboxes are on the server.  ^ ^;

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit.  I know it doesn't exactly answer your
question, but it's close.

--
Gretchen