[X-Newbies] G5 memory question

avijit at physics.drexel.edu avijit at physics.drexel.edu
Fri Dec 24 15:49:59 PST 2004

	The best way to see if you need more memory is type "top -o rsize"
from the terminal.  The Physical memory line will tell you how much
you have and the VM line says how much is virtual memory.. down below
all the apps you have running will be sorted w/ how much memory you are
using (RSIZE) and how much is being swapped away (VSIZE). A lot of this
is useless stuff swapped away but take a look at the photoshop line
while you are using it.. on my g4 laptop starting photoshop has
a 300 megs w/ 50 megs sitting in memory.. it makes sense that apps
you just have sitting around and not using but resident swap themselves to
disk but if you have apps that you are using that have a large ratio of
virtual memory to real memory buy some ram for your system.. 1.5 gigs
seems like plenty but ram is cheap and you could probably get 4 gigs for
reasonable amounts..

	-best,
	-avi