OS 9.2.2 Settings with New Panther

Dave Checkman d1v2d at intercom.net
Wed Jan 14 21:48:36 PST 2004

At 5:33 AM -0800 1/14/04, Al Poulin wrote:

>I am getting ready to install Panther on my Quicksilver G4 733.  Will using
>any of the installer's set-up assistants change any of the settings in OS
>9.2.2 such as AppleTalk, File Sharing, and TCP/IP?
>Thank you,

Al, if you've not yet seen the same response from others, the short
answer is "No".

There are all kinds of books and articles out there now (why not look
into some of those?) that lay out the relationship of your direct OS
9.2.2 installed files, the means by which they can be accessed when
you are running OS X (this means of access is known as "Classic", not
a set of separate files at all but only a *process* by which OS X can
make use of some of them), and your directly installed OS X files.

Seen in another way, "Classic" serves as a sort of "translation" for
OS X of your OS 9 files. I hope that you can see that, if anything,
it is OS X that is affected (very, very loosely put) and not the
other way around.

    Dave