[X Newbies] expired MS office trial

Bruce Klutchko klutch at erols.com
Fri Jan 23 07:07:27 PST 2004

On 1/23/04 9:41 AM, "Gail Brown" <gailb at tiac.net> wrote:

> I am running OSX.2.4 on aG3 iBook which came equipped with a trial
> version of Microsoft Office. The trial has expired. Now everytime I try
> to open a Word .doc, the Word app icon opens, appears in the dock and
> tells me it has expired and do I want to buy it, which I do not. How
> can I rid myself , or rather my iBook from this annoying message?
>
> TIA
> Gail
The system is trying to open the document with the original program that
created it. IF I recall correctly, OS X 10.2.4 does not open .doc documents
in TextEdit. Therefore, you need to have a program that will open .doc
documents.

If you do not have such a program, you could upgrade to Panther (expensive)
or download the freeware AntiWord Service. This is a free program from DEVON
Technology    (located in the Needful things category at
http://www.devon-technologies.com/download.php ) that will allow TextEdit to
open your Word documents.

Whether you choose the free route or the expensive upgrade to Panther, you
can make things easier on yourself by doing the following:

1.  Delete the MS Word application from your Applications folder
2.  Do a Get-info on a .doc document, and change the default application for
opening all of these documents to TextEdit.
3.  Then remove the Word icon from your Doc (poof!) and all will be well.

Bruce