I got a mail and sound problem

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg253 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 24 07:49:33 PDT 2004

I have a Pismo and had some trouble with the update to 10.3.4 a few weeks
back. I will spare you all the details of that except that I ended up wiping
the drive, going back to the original configuration and then adding Jaguar
and upgrading to 10.2.8. Everything was working fine but I really wanted
Panther back. So I crossed my fingers and put in the CD. It successfully
installed. After that everything seemed fine except that Mail would not
open. The icon bounced in the dock for a long time then just stopped. I can
use Entourage to get mail with that computer but as nice as Entourage is, I
really prefer the simple elegance of Mail. So console says that there was
some error during "prebinding" of mail and no directory can be found in the
library. I tried re-prebinding of the system via an app I downloaded
(cocktail) but still no mail. Sometimes the icon  doesn't even bounce. Also,
system sounds do not work. Sounds in other applications (like Entourage) do
work. Only the Mac system sounds are affected. The sound preference pane
seems normal except that the menu choices for what sounds should be played
through is not available (dimmed). I would LOVE to not have to re-install
but will do so if nobody has any other suggestions that work.
Thanks.
Greg C.