OS X is auto remounting of compact flash cards via USB

Ian Sights isights at swbell.net
Tue Jun 29 12:06:05 PDT 2004

I'm using an USB card reader for my Compact Flash cards and when I
eject the media from the desktop, (Panther 10..3.4) the disk icon will
dissappear, and then the system remounts the card again. I've been
trying to time the dismount/remount so I can pull the card before the
system gets it again, but I recently had a 1gig card become corrupted.
I don't know if that's the cause,  but I'd like to find out how to stop
the remounting. It didn't do this under Jaguar, and I don't think it
did it right after the upgrade to Panther, but I think it started after
one of the system updates.

It's a VST Flash Media Reader Model VFMR. Also called SmartDisk. I've
downloaded the latest driver in installed that. No change.

Suggestions?