[X-Newbies] Re: USB2.0 to Ultra SCSI Converter

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Apr 19 22:08:27 PDT 2005

> From: carwesg at aol.com
>
> I just bought a new G5.   I have SCSI peripherals from my old MAC that
> I would like to use on this new machine (mainly my Zip drive and Jaz
> drive).
>
> I was looking at the USB2.0 to Ultra SCSI Converter , any comments on
> this?

Here's mine: what you are pursuing is a fool's errand.

USB to SCSI converters died out with USB2, were hideously expensive and
never worked right. Forget them.

You should be getting your data off the Zips and Jaz as FAST AS YOU CAN
-- they were, at the best of times, terribly unreliable hardware and
the situation hasn't changed one iota. Sure, they may run for years,
but when they die (and they will inevitably), they TAKE YOUR DATA WITH
EM. Bad juju.

Copy your ZIP and JAZ data onto a hard drive (using your old Mac), then
place the hard drive into an external case (or just copy it directly
onto your new machine via Ethernet or Firewire), or burn CDs of it, and
then drop-kick the Iomega stuff into the sea.

If you really insist on keeping the Zip around, buy a refurbished USB
one for cheap (it will read your old cartridges just fine). As for the
Jaz, see above -- that technology never was any damn good.

_Chas_

FL-MUG: central Florida's Macintosh User Group.
Meetings: second Thursday of the month, 6-9pm,
at the Orlando Science Center.
http://www.flmug.org