[X-Newbies] Re: haveing trouble open a pdf attachment...

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Dec 15 23:52:55 PST 2005

> From: Richard Ramsowr <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net>
>
> Good Morning Charles
>
> You wrote...
> Attention: you own a Mac. You do not get viruses.
>
> WOW I just removed my copy of Symantec/Norton and
> rebooted my QS and I canÕt believe just how much
> faster the old girl is running now that
> Symantec/Norton is off of her back! That was best
> advise I have ever received on line from anyone -
> THANKS!

Very glad to be of service.

> Also thanks for the heads up on Preview. So when I get
> a new PDF Reader reload I trust all should be back to
> normal (what ever that is these days)

Safari can actually read PDFs in-browser without Acrobat Reader's
plug-in (which overrides Safari's own PDF reader when installed). I
find Safari's method to be quicker and less painful than waiting for
Acrobat's in-browser plug-in to load, but it's of course more basic
as well.

In a nutshell, with PDFs that come to you from websites, you have
three options:
1. Safari will open the PDF in-browser. Make sure that the
AdodePDFViewer.plugin is NOT present in Library/Internet Plug-Ins (or
move it to the Disable Plug-Ins folder therein). As of Tiger,
Safari's default behaviour is to handle PDF files "in-line" by itself.

2. Adobe Acrobat will load in-browser and view the PDF. Move the
AdobePDFViewer.plugin OUT of the disabled folder (or install Acrobat
Reader in Applications, which will automatically update/replace/
install a plug-in in Library/Internet Plug-Ins) and into the Internet
Plug-Ins folder.

3. Force Safari NOT to view PDFs in browser, instead ALWAYS saving
them to the Desktop. Close Safari, open the Terminal application,
paste in the following line:
defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES
and hit return. Now relaunch Safari.
(to restore Safari's default behaviour, re-paste the line above
changing YES to NO)

> Again thanks for the input and big time help - I trust
> that I might call upon you from time to time for more
> of those little ÒPearlÕs of WisdomÓ!

I'll be here! :)

Cheers
Chas