[X-Newbies] Migration Assistant

Raoul Armfield armfield at amnh.org
Wed Dec 21 02:56:46 PST 2005

Chris Walker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Santa came early so I've just got my shiny new G5 - dual core 2ghz with
> 1gb Ram.  I'm now looking at getting all my stuff from the old machine
> to the new.
>
> The old machine has one account 'Mars' running as admin.  The new one
> will have two accounts Saturn' as admin and 'BigC' as user.  At present
> BigC is enabled as admin but this will drop back to user when all the
> installations are done.  My aim was to create a new 'clean' machine
> which will last for my usual 4/5 years.
>
> I'm already having problems with permissions so I wondered whether to go
> the easy route and simply duplicate the old machine via the Migration
> Assistant.  Only problem is that all the accumulated crud (apps that
> were tried and not used, ancient prefs, whatever else that might be
> lurking etc) on the old machines comes to the new.
>
> Anyone any experience with migration assistant or could suggest any way
> round the permissions problems?
>
> All help gratefully received.  :-)

First of all I am a little envious :).  Second I realize it sucks to
reinstall but if you want to truly start off with a clean machine I
think you should reinstall all the software you want/need from the media
and really start over, then only bring over the data from the old
machine.  Can you rebuild the permissions using the fix permissions
utility that you get when you boot from the OS CD or are you refering to
different permissions problems.

Also you don't have to use your BigC account as an admin account to do
installations.  When you do installations as a regular user you should
be prompted for an administrator level username and password.

Finally, it is excellent that you want to have a separate admin account
from the account you use for your everyday work.  I assume that this is
done for security sake.  In any case, it is not a good idea to broadcast
on a public list what the names of your accounts are on your computer
especially not the admin accounts.  This makes a hacker's job easier as
all (s)he needs to do is somehow guess your password.

arguably it may be a little harder to find you if this is a home
computer but still not impossible.

--
Raoul Armfield
rarmfield at amnh dot org