[X-Newbies] file sharing between a QS 933 on Tiger and a 7300 on OS 9.1

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Fri Dec 23 18:02:08 PST 2005

On Dec 22, 2005, at 12:44 AM, david_elmo wrote:

> I am miffed by the complexities of trying to file share between a 7300
> on 9.1 and a QS on Tiger. There seems so many variables! The help
> files and what actually happens seem not dovetail.
>
> What about the simplest possible thing? I have a red cross over
> ethernet cable (which I once by some miracle - it must have been -
> used to connect a couple of 7300s just to transfer files from one to
> the other, have forgotten all details) connected to the 2 machines.
> And i don't care anything about security or passwords or anything.
> What is the least i should do?
>
> Can someone at least give me the first 3 or 4 steps and when i have
> done them, i will come back. It is too much to ask anyone to go
> through everything!

David:

Take a look at "Mac OS: Moving files from your older Macintosh to a new
one":

Then follow the links from that article to others.  These articles at
Apple's web site help make sense out of all those little, disconnected
Help files in the Finder.

Also, at Apple's web site, you can search on related terms including
ethernet, file sharing, apple talk, and TCP/IP, and maybe even
connecting computes.  Years ago, I found it very helpful to borrow the
books from the public library on Macintosh.  The networking and file
sharing chapters were very helpful in understanding the basic ideas of
what to do.

Today, I use David Pogue's Mac OS X, The Missing Manual series for
basic reference.  Robin Williams also has excellent books out for
reference.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.