[X-Newbies] ITunes storage and access

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Wed Jun 1 04:25:24 PDT 2005

On Jun 1, 2005, at 05:56, Tony Johansen wrote:

> Is it possible to store the music on either the other partition or
> external
> HD and yet still play the music easily on the iTunes program?

Yes.

> I have already tried (at an Apple tech support suggestion) to copy the
> folders to both locations then change iTunes prefs ->advanced ->change
> location of folder -> ok.

That's the way to do it.

> [...] when the original folder was deleted iTunes became blank.

I doubt that "iTunes became blank". What you probably mean is that you
lost your playlists and iTunes' Library was emptied. I also assume that
by "original folder" you mean ~/Music/iTunes, which is the default
location. (If my assumptions are wrong, disregard what follows.)

Your mistake was in deleting this folder, rather than
~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music, where your music files were located. By
deleting it, you also deleted iTunes 4 Music Library (which holds
iTunes Library and playlist data) and its backup, iTunes Music
Library.xml. You cannot recover your playlists; you'll have to redo
them. But you can easily repopulate your iTunes Library. Drag and drop
your current music folder onto Library in iTunes' Source list. Then
re-create your playlists.

<0x0192>