[X-Newbies] ITunes storage and access

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 1 06:53:08 PDT 2005

On 1/6/2005 9:25 PM, "Alex" <lists at lexial.ca> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2005, at 05:56, Tony Johansen wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to store the music on either the other partition or
>> external
>> HD and yet still play the music easily on the iTunes program?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I have already tried (at an Apple tech support suggestion) to copy the
>> folders to both locations then change iTunes prefs ->advanced ->change
>> location of folder -> ok.
>
> That's the way to do it.
>
>> [...] when the original folder was deleted iTunes became blank.
>
> I doubt that "iTunes became blank". What you probably mean is that you
> lost your playlists and iTunes' Library was emptied. I also assume that
> by "original folder" you mean ~/Music/iTunes, which is the default
> location. (If my assumptions are wrong, disregard what follows.)
>
> Your mistake was in deleting this folder, rather than
> ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music, where your music files were located. By
> deleting it, you also deleted iTunes 4 Music Library (which holds
> iTunes Library and playlist data) and its backup, iTunes Music
> Library.xml. You cannot recover your playlists; you'll have to redo
> them. But you can easily repopulate your iTunes Library. Drag and drop
> your current music folder onto Library in iTunes' Source list. Then
> re-create your playlists.

Alex You are wonderful, Thank you, thank you, thank you. Such a simple
solution. I don't know about where you are but Apple over here (Australia
seems to be hiring people with minimal English skills. If ever there was a
place for accurate language its a computer help desk. The first guy gave me
correct info except he left off your perfect instruction. When I rang back
the tech person told me it was impossible without making that '9' partition
OS X .

Next question: Can I also shoot my iMovie and iDVD files also yet access
them from 10, And iPhoto files?

Tony