[X-Newbies] Word not working

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 18 11:42:48 PDT 2005

On 18/10/2005 2:17 AM, "W Lane" <wilann at telusplanet.net> wrote:

> Restart the machine, if you have not already

Neither approach made any difference, although going to user>library
provided this interesting observation: All went as expected until I tried to
open Word Settings. That action produced the spinning ball. It seems obvious
that the problem may well indeed lay with whatever she was trying to do with
her last document.

The only info she provides is confusing. She said she had a file she had
downloaded from the internet which she was trying to 'save to Word'
apparently wanting to find it among the documents she actually creates in
Word in future.

One solution occurs to me: Would anything prevent me from simply creating a
new account for her, dragging her documents that will open over to the new
account then just deleting that current account? Would Word simply start
with a fresh Word Settings folder?

I could easily gut everything not Word related, then go through everything
with a Word icon one by one. If it turns out that it was a case of her
trying to save a document created in another program to an inappropriate
location, or an oversized document 'stuck in the throat' then maybe with a
new account it would not be misbehaving?? (hope against hope here)

It's late here in Sydney so I will sleep on it, and maybe someone has a
better idea?

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art