[X-Newbies] Re: the sbc yahoo blues at @sbcglobal.net...

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Oct 30 21:14:36 PST 2005

> From: Richard ramsowr <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net>
>
> sorry, I  wasn't clearer on the subject - anyway my
> DSL provider is SBC and I find myself using their mail
> program which they call "SBC Yahoo Mail"- one of those
> thing where - when you sign up for their DSL service -
> one just kind of fall in to it.

I'm still awfully confused -- what is "SBC Yahoo Mail"? Is it
something you access through a web browser, or is it a program that
runs on your Mac? Or is it a service you access with another mail
program.

> anyway wanted to tranfer (move) off of sbc and onto
> one of Apple's offerings

Apple's only "offering" as far as email goes is their Mail program --
and their .Mac service, both of which you say you already have.

>   I currently have both
> Apple's .Mac and of course OS X's Mail - not even sure
> what the differents is between the two.

Mail is free. It is an email program that resides on your hard drive.
It allows you to read and manage your email.

.Mac is a suite of internet-based services. It provides you with a
convenient email address, but works with any email program. It does a
lot of other things too, but they are outside the scope of this email
discussion.

> . Maybe I'm nuts
> but I have always used an apple albeit some what new
> to OS X and I'm just tired of not haveing the full
> experence.

I agree that .Mac enhances the "Mac experience" but it's not strictly
necessary. I've been a subscriber for years and really like it.

What I'm trying to figure out here is where your SBC email is stored.
Is it on your hard drive, or on their server? The answer to that
question will help us bring your SBC mail into whatever new program
or service you want.

_Chas_

"To use the Mac is to be confronted, over and over, with the idea
that the most mundane task can be done artfully and compassionately,
beautifully and invitingly. " -- Glenn McDonald