[X-Newbies] New iMic with Tiger?

John Kiss john.kiss at comcast.net
Thu Sep 15 10:43:53 PDT 2005

On Sep 15, 2005, at 11:36 AM, Brian Durant wrote:

> I don't know where to check to see if it is actually working.
> GriffinTech's description of the "Speech" prefs don't match those of
> Tiger. I see a microphone "line in and "digital in", but iMic isn't
> listed anywhere. I have tried as per the FAQ to test the iMic in
> iMovie, but couldn't get anything from the mic. I have also checked
> "Sound", but have not gotten any more enlightened there either.

Make sure your microphone is plugged into the iMic and that the iMic
is plugged into a USB port as a previous poster mentioned. Also make
sure that the switch on the iMic is slid towards the speaker icon.

Go open System Preferences and select the Sound icon. Click on the
Input tab. Your iMic should be listed in the "Choose a device for
sound input" field. In my case it is listed as "iMic USB audio
system". If it's not listed then somehow your system is not
recognizing the iMic. If it is listed, select it and the Input Level
meter should now be active and display whatever the mike picks up.
Adjust the Input volume so that there's no clipping. If you get no
movement on the Input level then possibly your mike may be at fault
or the connection between the mike and iMic.

You should be all set now, hopefully.

In iMovie, all you need to do is click on the Audio icon and the
Microphone level meter should be active. Hit the record button (the
one with the red dot in the middle) to start recording.