[X-Newbies] MAC VIRUS

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 18 19:57:25 PST 2006

On Feb 18, 2006, at 6:35 PM, Vincent Cayenne wrote:

> At 4:36 PM -0500 2/18/06, J wrote:
>> Um, now that I have read your link it DOES say that you can get
>> this update via the Software Update Control Panel.
>> So that security update is indeed within this update, but only as
>> of 02/14.
>
> And, regardless of when you download it, has no provision for the
> malware item whatsoever. To be clear, 10.4.5 does not include
> anything that has specific protection against Oompah Loompah/
> Leap.A. There is nothing in the security update part of the updtae
> that is relevant.

And further, it most emphatically would never be the case that a
specific version (e.g. 10.4.5) would have a particular feature "as
of" a certain date. A version either has a feature or doesn't.  The
idea that people who updated to 10.4.5 prior to the 14th would have
different software than people who updated later reflects a complete
misunderstanding of how versioning works. The text:

 > If you already updated to 10.4.5 prior to the 14th, then I suggest
running that
 > Control Panel once again to see if there is any other update in
there.

doesn't say "maybe" or "I wonder if", or any other hint that it is a
speculation.

SR