[X-Newbies] OS X Jaguar on Wallstreet (PB G3).

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Wed Jun 7 14:27:18 PDT 2006

Even if you can do without, why?

Whenever I have a kernel panic, the Wallstreet reboots into 9 on the second
partition.  I do have Classic on the first partition, but never get it.
What will happen to you when you reboot after a kernel panic in Jaguar if
you don't have 9 installed?  I dunno.

Some follow up to the other replies:

For diagnostic purposes, you may find it necessary to boot from an older CD
or external drive. Regardless of whether you intend to install MacOS 8/9 or
not, I consider it highly desirable to install the 9 drivers when you
partition.

OS X is the only OS which must fit within the first 8 GB.  I have Jaguar in
my first partition and MacOS 9.2.2 in the second partition and everything
runs fine with either system. Note that you may run in to problems if you
format your HD to exactly 8.00.  I have been unable to get a definitive
answer to this question, but be aware that there are two definitions to a
GB: 1,000 MB and 1,024 MB (likewise MB vs. KB).  Which to use?  Using the
wrong one can make the difference between wasting space and having a time
bomb waiting for you to use those last few sectors.  For safety's sake,
limit your partition to 7.91 GB.

Only one of your DIMMs needs to be low profile.

I would love to upgrade to Panther, but in spite of numerous attempts and
XPF, I have never succeeded.  Indeed, I have never succeeded in booting into
X from any external drive or install CD.  Others have.  YMMV.

If you are going to spend more than $150 upgrading, I would seriously
consider selling the Wallstreet and getting a newer book which officially
supports Panther or Tiger.

Robert