[X-Newbies] DiskWarrior recovery help.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 14:41:53 PST 2006

On 11/20/06, Steven Rogers <srogers1 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2006, at 4:00 PM, Brian Durant wrote:
>
> >> Without -t, it doesn't make sense. And probably it would prefer it
> >> like:
> >>
> >> sudo mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/osx -o umask=000 -t hfsplus
> >>
> >> rather than with switches at the beginning.
> >
> > OK, that seemed to work. I ran the same command for /dev/sdc12 at /
> > mnt/osx2.
> > The question is what kind of syntax I need to 'cp' my user profile
> > directory and all of the files and subdirectories over to /mnt/osx2.
>

> It's  cp -R <source> <target>
>
> The -R means "recursive", i.e. look in all the subdirectories too. I
> forget where your home directory was, but you want something like:
>
> sudo cp -R /Users/me /mnt/osx2/backup-me
>
> It shouldn't matter what's in there, but with the OS X / Ubuntu cross-
> over, it's possible that super-long file names, or some other really
> weird thing (like file names with foreign language characters in the
> name) could goof it up. A file named NO Name.dmg should be OK.

OK. Here is what I tried and the results:

:/mnt/osx$ sudo cp -R /Users/myuserfolder /mnt/osx2
Password:
cp: cannot stat `/Users/myuserfolder': No such file or directory
:/mnt/osx$ cd
:~$ sudo cp -R /mnt/osx/Users/myuserfolder /mnt/osx2/myuserfolder-backup
cp: cannot create directory `/mnt/osx2/myuserfolder-backup': Read-only
file system

Why is /mnt/osx2 "read-only? I ran 'sudo mount /dev/sdc12 /mnt/osx2 -o
umask=000 -t hfsplus

Cheers,

Brian