[X-Newbies] Re: Your message to X-Newbies awaits moderator approval

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Tue Nov 21 11:06:25 PST 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 9:32 AM, Al Poulin wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2006, at 7:54 AM, Brian Durant wrote:
>
>> On 11/20/06, Robert Ameeti <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:
>>> Listees need to learn to things to be responsible: plain text and
>>> trimming. Both of these items were not being done by this listee. A
>>> delay is sometimes the only way to get people to wake up and be
>>> responsible. Certainly didn't cause anyone to lose any data.
>>
>> Using html is not irresponsible, nor is posting over 5 KB. Holding a
>
> Using HTML in e-lists can cause messages to not be received.  Some
> e-mail clients cannot receive HTML.  And some users prefer to turn
> HTML off in the client's preferences.  I do.  Also, HTML adds to the
> bandwidth required to handle e-mail.  In some countries, this means
> more time on the recipient's connection to internet service which
> translates directly to cost of that service.
>
> At the lowendmac.com web site, there is an excellent description of
> "netiquette."
>
> http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml
>
> These guidelines do not apply strictly to themacintoshguy lists, but
> it is still best to keep them in mind, for all concerned.

Is there anybody here who discounts the value of the netiquette that I
mentioned above?  In the four hours since I sent this, the discussion
shows some heat but little agreement.  When one signs up for a list,
there is an understanding that one knows and will try to follow the
guidelines for the list.

Al Poulin