[X-Newbies] Re: Looking for a bargain-basement laptop solution...

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Oct 25 19:52:23 PDT 2006

> From: Richard Ramsowr <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net>
>
> IÕm looking for a bargain-basement laptop solution
> what will run iWorks, NeoOffice and Tiger. I need one
> for sales presentations using iWorks 6 (KeyNote),
> NeoOffice and hopefully Tiger.

Given these requirements, you have only two options: an iBook or
Powerbook G4 with at least a combo drive (iWork 06 requires a G4, and
Tiger and NeoOffice both run better with a G4). In addition, I would
STRONGLY recommend getting as much RAM as possible. 1GB or better
should do nicely.

Given that the 14-inch iBook G4 with Superdrive is selling on Apple's
refurb page for $999, I would think that they might offer a 12-inch
G4 combo for quite a bit less, making them very attractive now. Of
course you'll have to wait till they come available on Apple's page,
or visit one of the many reputable online Mac dealers like Small Dog,
OWC, Megamacs et al to see if any of them have a good deal. Make sure
Tiger and iLife 06 are part of the deal.

I no longer recommend Ebay for this type of thing, but if you're
feeling lucky you may pick up a great deal that way as well.

I think if you can find say $800-900, you could get a great G4 iBook
(I really loved mine) and max it out with RAM. Killer presentation
machine.

Cheers
Chas