[X-Newbies] Re: Looking for a bargain-basement laptop solution...

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 25 22:11:57 PDT 2006

On 26/10/2006 12:52 PM, "Charles Martin" <chasm at mac.com> wrote:

>> From: Richard Ramsowr <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net>
>>
>> IÕm looking for a bargain-basement laptop solution
>> what will run iWorks, NeoOffice and Tiger.
>
> Given these requirements, you have only two options: an iBook or
> Powerbook G4 with at least a combo drive (iWork 06 requires a G4, and
> Tiger and NeoOffice both run better with a G4). I no longer recommend Ebay for
this type of thing, but if you're
> feeling lucky you may pick up a great deal that way as well.
>
> I think if you can find say $800-900, you could get a great G4 iBook
> (I really loved mine) and max it out with RAM. Killer presentation
> machine.

I second the notion of trying discount chains. One here in Australia has
been selling new G4 iBook stock for 1100 Australian dollars which is equal
to 768 US dollars.

Normally I myself would try eBay, as my experience has been good (I bought a
G3 iBook with a brand new battery in it for AU$500 (US$349) and am very
happy with it). Unfortunately so far, it seems, the prices of used laptops
hasn't fallen as much in relative terms as the cost of new computers, so the
savings are not so great for used notebooks now compared to a year ago,
especially when factoring the discounts on new pre-intel stock.

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art