[X-Newbies] how to seamlessly use added hard drive

Chris Beamis beamis at drizzle.com
Fri Sep 8 15:53:01 PDT 2006

On a dual 867MHz mirrored drive doors model, with freshly installed
10.4.7, I have the original 57.3GB hard drive with only about 1.5GB
free right this minute, and I just installed a new 370GB IDE drive as
the slave.  I have disk utility poised to do something but I'm not
sure exactly what to do.  I had originally conceived of using this
new drive purely for backup, but with the original drive nearly full
I must use at least part of the disk for data.   So I'm thinking now
of trying to figure out some way to mount the new disk so that if I
go to the command line, and type in something like

 > cd /Users

then it will go to that directory like normal, except that my shell
prompt will actually be on the new big disk at that point.  Is this
possible?  My idea here is that we can then continue to hog up large
amounts of disk space for pictures and tunes without ever knowing
that our (us users') data exists on a different disk than the system,
and hopefully then the original disk will always have lots of free
space just for the system and applications.  A later additional step
will then will be to get something like about 500GB hard drive space
and back up this whole mess to it (for the backup solution I
originally meant for this one, plus we'll soon need to backup a
Macbook).  I found info about hdiutil at http://tinyurl.com/7yvvw but
got overwhelmed.  Too ignorant, need handholding. :)

Am I asking for too much?  If so, what's the most convenient way to
store user data on the added drive, especially for the little missus
who absolutely refuses to ever, under any circumstance, RTFM or do
anything that involves understanding what's going on behind the scenes.

Thanks for any help,
Chris