[X-Newbies] how to seamlessly use added hard drive

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Fri Sep 8 16:41:30 PDT 2006

On 9/8/06 4:53 PM, "Chris Beamis" <beamis at drizzle.com> wrote:

> On a dual 867MHz mirrored drive doors model, with freshly installed
> 10.4.7, I have the original 57.3GB hard drive with only about 1.5GB
> free right this minute, and I just installed a new 370GB IDE drive as
> the slave.  I have disk utility poised to do something but I'm not
> sure exactly what to do.

Your original hard disk is between three and four years old, assuming it is
original to your MDD.  Do you know the typical OEM warranty on disk drives?
It's three years, for a reason.  Based on years of experience of losing data
due to failed hard drives, I would say that depending on that old a hard
disk constitutes living dangerously.

Move everything over to your new disk.  If you wish, you can find a cheap
($25) external box for your old drive and use it for backup of critical
files. Leaving it in a drawer, and turning it on only once a month, you can
extend its life by years.