[X-Newbies] Canon iP5200R printer problems with LAN.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 09:09:33 PST 2007

I just purchased a Canon iP5200R printer and am having serious
problems getting my setup to work properly. I have a wireless LAN at
home:

1) G5 single (OS X Tiger 10.4.8) physically connected to a Linksys
wireless router with an ethernet connection.
2) MacBook (OS X Tiger 10.4.8) connected wirelessly to the LAN.
3) Dell something laptop XP thingy.

The Canon iP5200R printer can be connected either wirelessly, by
ethernet cable or by USB cable to the LAN.

I started out with a wireless connection from the computers to the
printer (my G5 has an Airport card). All of the computers looked like
they had been configured properly, but I only managed to print one
test page from the Dell to the printer after setup. Setup requires
that you first have to connect the printer physically to each Mac with
a USB cable. Then the "new" setup (which is actually the same for both
Macs) is "transfered to the printer.

Now I have tried to connect the printer physically to the router by
way of an ethernet cable. After having had to redo the setup by
connecting the printer to the G5 again with a USB cable, everything
seemed to work - except printing. Now at least, OS X can detect the
printer and so can the Canon utilities. Unfortunately, I still get an
error number 300 saying that the printer does not respond. If I stop
the job and resume it, the driver keeps spinning it's wheels trying to
open a connection to the printer, but nothing happening. If I go into
"utility", the printer is recognized from the get go and the printer
is also recognized if I go into the printer configration.

At this time, I am only working on getting the G5 to work. That means
that I have the following configuration:

1) Only "wired LAN" is configured with "automatically get IP address"
set. The address seems to be set to 192.168.1.106.
2) There is no Mac address or IP address control set.

I really need some help on this as I am out of my depth.

Here is some of the info the printer configuration:

Canon iP520OR Network Configuration Page

	Printer		:	iP520OR
	Firmware Version		:	1.02
	Wireless LAN		:	Disabled
		Standard	:	IEEE 802.llg