[X-Newbies] Re: Printers for OS 9/USB?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Jun 14 12:06:39 PDT 2007

> From: J <themacintoshlady at earthlink.net>
> Subject: [X-Newbies] Printers for OS 9/USB?
>
> Is there such an animal left to buy as many of my people don't still
> want to go with X because they would have to buy a whole new computer
> yet their printers are dying....
>
> Yes I have suggested they just get a new computer but that doesn't
> always fly with the older set.

Mac OS X has been out for almost SEVEN years now.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not having made the transition by
now. Including budget -- a used Mac capable of running OS X might set
you back as little as $50. Any Mac that has at least a G3, firewire
ports and (I would suggest a minimum of) 512MB of RAM can run Tiger.
That takes you back to 2001, and apparently from then till now is how
long you can have your head buried up ... I mean in the sand.

You should have been firmer with these folks a LONG time ago, and now
it's come back to bite them.

I empathise with the resistance to change in older clients, but just
as with cars, television and government, change is an ESSENTIAL part
of the process and you CAN'T ignore it without consequences. The long
lead time of Classic was intended to foster a GENTLE transition, but
even THAT ended almost three years ago, and nobody who's made the
transition has really missed it much!

I believe there are a SMALL handful of Epson, HP and Lexmark printers
that still offer OS 9 drivers. You'll need to cross-check the product
pages of each's current offerings and see. In the meantime, I would
**strongly** suggest you get these folks who's machines qualify or
who are near/in the market for a new machine moved over to OS X **NOW**.

Cheers
Chas