Server Monitor can't connect

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Sun Mar 28 10:49:31 PST 2004

I'm having the darnest time with Server Monitor (OS X Server 10.3.3 + XServe G5).

I just unpacked a new G5 XServe yesterday (whoo hoo!) and set it up at home.  I'll eventually be transferring to a Co-location facility, but I just plugged it into the LAN so I can spend some time getting it set up over the next couple of weeks.

Everything seems to be working just fine, except that the Server Monitor application won't work.  I either get the status "Waiting for response" or "User name or password is incorrect" (they're not).

The log just reports "Failed to contact server" over and over again.  This happens regardless of how I address the server (IP address, Rendezvous name, "localhost", or "127.0.0.1").  And it has the same problem from another workstation on the network or run locally on the XServe itself.

I've scoured Apple's support pages, and there is only one technote about Server Monitor not connecting where reverse DNS lookup isn't available (I'm not running any DNS at the house).  The note says this can be fixed by changing the X Server's HOSTNAME to 'localhost' in /etc/hostconfig, then addressing the server by it's IP address.  I did both of these, and it doesn't make any difference.  I even reinstalled the Server OS from the CDs.  No difference.

That would be a non-issue if I could be assured that it will work when DNS is available.  When it gets installed at the CoLo, it will have a proper domain name, reverse lookup, and all that.  I'm running Timbuktu for my remote administration, do I don't (technically) *need* Server Monitor to get things working.  But I'm worried since I can't make it work even with the changes I made in the technote.  And I will definitely want Server Monitor working once it's install remotely.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Can I expect the problem to go away once it has a proper domain name?  And is there something I can do about it while it's installed locally?