[X-Unix] kernel panic

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Wed Dec 29 09:52:18 PST 2004

On 29 Dec, 2004, at 11:16, CP wrote:

> Hi folks. What questions do I need to answer, for some help???
>
> iMac G4 15" monitor
> OS X10.3
> Won't start… all I get is a "Coded" window with kernel panic attack,
> and I can't even start from a CD, or HOW do I start from the CD?

In addition to Kurt's comments; assuming that the system has been
running before -- suspect a memory failure.  OSX is very susceptible to
memory issues during startup. If it detects an issue with memory, it
will panic before anything useful happens.

To boot from the CD, power-cycle the machine and hold down the "C" key
after the chime.

Also, if you hold down the "CV" keys, it will boot in "verbose mode"
and you may spot some error before it gets to the Kernel Panic display.
(That usually occurs as the system is switching into the Apple GUI
mode.)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]-Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] Open BSD 3.6
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com