[X-Unix] Postfix troubles

Michael Grant soft at bdanube.com
Wed Jan 28 07:11:33 PST 2004

On Jan 27, 2004, at 5:18 PM, Stroller wrote:

> And notes about the proxy_interfaces directive, which I think might be
> of relevance to you. You need to be really pretty careful about this
> sorta stuff, to ensure that your system can't be used by spammers. If
> you have port 25 open & one is able to relay to & from external IPs
> using your system, then this  facility will be discovered & abused
> VERY quickly. You should be absolutely sure to get a friend to test by
> configuring your server as their SMTP server - they should NOT be able
> to send mail to 3rd parties like that.

Mike Bigley pointed me to a link with some additional info that enabled
me to get it running. Your point about open relays is well taken, and I
think I've taken the necessary precautions to prevent abuse. In fact
I've set Postfix, assuming I haven't done something wrong, to accept
mail only from this local machine.

Thanks,
Michael

--
I believe there's something out there watching over us. Unfortunately,
it's the government.