[X-Unix] mail.app and clamav?

Adrian Simmons adrinux at ntlworld.com
Mon May 31 05:23:13 PDT 2004

Warren Pollans wrote:
> would like to find a way to have
> mail.app pass mail through clamav - antivirus scanner.
For myself, I use:
fetchmail > postfix > procmail(clamassassin > clamav)(spamassassin) >
mail spool > qpopper > mail.app

fetchamail to collect mail from the pop accounts, which passes messages
to postfix, which in turn passes them to procmail (which filters through
clamav using the clamassassin script, and filters through spamassassin),
which delivers them to my user mail spool in /var/mail, qpopper then
sits between the mail spool and mail.app.

Also I have procmail rules which delete messages that clamav detects a
virus in and high scoring spam, and I monitor my procmail log file with
geektool, so I can watch out for false positives in a nice translucent
panel on my desktop :)

You may well be able to feed messages to clamav from mail.app using a
rule and an applescript, you might find the clamassassin script useful
for that (it's a shell script I think), in terms of what you need to do.

HTH

--
adrinux (aka Adrian Simmons)
e-mail <mailto:adrinux at ntlworld.com>