[X-Unix] Re: Korn shell?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Apr 13 06:01:49 PDT 2005

Sometime in April Timothy Luoma assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Jaguar to Panther changed the default shell from tcsh to bash, correct?
|  I'd be surprised if they changed the default shell again.  tcsh is a
| bit of an ugly hack shell IMO whereas bash is much more widely
| compatible with a number of scripts.

Most scripts will specify the shell to be used in the shebang. The fancy
name given to the #! in first line of the script which looks something
like:

#!/bin/sh

So changing your default shell shouldn't affect any scripts as long as the
scripts specify their own shell. Personally, I feel that any scripts which
make use of shell specific commands or syntax should have a shebang line.
Given that Apple changed the default shell in the last release of OS X, I
doubt they would do so again.

| I don't know much about ksh (I'm a zsh guy myself) but I feel fairly
| confident in saying that bash will remain, as tcsh did, even if it
| isn't the default.

I don't know much about ksh either. I'm a bash person because I got my unix
start (for the most part) on Linux. Though, a friend tells me that zsh is
really nice.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB