[X-Unix] Address book and Mail.app

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Sat Jun 4 17:27:27 PDT 2005

I've observed two annoying anomalies with Address Book and Mail.app

Mail 2.0.1 (730)
Address Book 4.0.1 (472)
OS X 10.4.1

I've encountered an issue with Address book where the groups keep
vanishing as soon as you
edit an entry or export an address from Mail.App to the Address Book.

So far, I can get them back by re-synching with .mac, but as soon as
I go to edit an entry, they vanish again.

I'd also love to know what the little circling arrows next to "All"
means... the implication is that it is syncing, but I suspect that it
really just means that it's busy.

The second issue is with mail.app -- it double counts the number of
incoming messages -- randomly.

I suspect it happens if I launch mail.app and don't read all of the
new messages in a given mail box, quit and then re-launch mail.app.
[I run my own IMAP server and use procmail to sort the incoming
messages into multiple inboxes.]

Doing a quick search on some of the boards, I have seen a couple of
people comment on the groups issue in Address book, but no answers.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.3.8
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com