[X-Unix] Sending Commands to Apple External USB Modem

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Mon Jan 7 03:58:32 PST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 01:22, Rick Gordon wrote:

> Can someone point me in the direction of how to send raw commands to
> an Apple External USB Modem (v. 92)?
>
> Mainly, I would like to be able to tell the modem to go on hold
> indefinitely.
>
> Information on <https://modemsite.com/56k/v92c.asp> lists the
> following command sequence:
>
> 	To make an outgoing call while holding your Internet connection:
>
> 	AT+PMHR - response will be value from above chart - server starts
> timer
>
> 	AT+PMHF - your modem does a hook flash; gives you dial-tone on
> extension phone plugged into modem; You can place your call. When
> finished and you hang up, the line will RING.
>
> But I'm not sure how to send commands to the modem. (Back in Classic
> days, with a serial modem, I would have used an application such as
> HyperTerminal or DataComet, but I've lost touch with how to
> communicate with an external USB modem under OS X.)

Don't know specifically about the Apple modem, but I'll wager it sets
itself up as a /dev/serial.something device, as the USB<>serial
converters do.  Once you find the device, you can use minicom or ZTerm
or similar to connect to it just as you describe - they have a place
in the config to identify the device.

I *really* wish someone would do a Cocoa terminal like iTerm that
knows how to talk to serial devices.  ZTerm is very dated (like 10.1
dated), and all the alternatives I know of are enterprise class $100+
apps with fancy terminal emulations.  I just need to talk to routers,
etc. on a semi-regular basis.

KeS