[X4U] Mac OCR

Jim Eddy giametti at mac.com
Mon Aug 9 05:44:08 PDT 2004

On Aug 9, 2004, at 12:56 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> Art Amolsch said:
>
>> Beg to differ. OmniPage X is among the greatest
>> values I have seen. Of course, if you don't have
>> any use for it, $1.00 is too much. But this app
>> has saved me hours and hours over the years,
>> and on that basis, $130.00 is a flat-out steal.
>> -------
>> On Aug 8, 2004, at 10:08 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
>>> However, if you think about it for a second, $130 isn't inexpensive
>>> for a
>>> piece of software of just about any discription.
>

> I guess that it is all relative and subjective. I wasn't putting down
> OmniPage X.  I have it and I love it.  But $130, to me, is a lot of
> money.
>
> I can see spending hundreds of dollars on software that is produced in
> low volume, such as vertical market software, and sophisticated
> programs
> such as music composition software.  But $130 for even the best OCR
> program seems steep to me.

The other day, about a week after downloading the trial version of
ReadIRIS, the company emailed me with an offer to buy the program for
$59.95 (down from $129 MRP--Amazon sells it for $99). I don't know how
it compares with OmniPage these days (the reviews of Omnipage on Amazon
are not kind). I took the offer. It seemed like a good deal to me for a
program that seems to work well so far.

--------
Jim Eddy                                               James Eddy
Woodworks
giametti at mac.com               jim at jameseddywoodworks.com
                               Mount Pleasant, Michigan
                          http://jameseddywoodworks.com