[X4U] iTunes library on external drive

lists3-200402 lists3-200402 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 10 14:33:15 PDT 2004

alexandre <mac.k at a2k.ch> wrote:

>Le 9 ao=FBt 04, =E0 16:36, Kirk McElhearn a =E9crit :
>
>>  On 8/9/04 4:26 PM, "alexandre" <mac.k at a2k.ch> wrote:
>>
>>>  hi
>>>  today i decided to move my itunes library to an external drive,=20
>>>  freeing
>>>  25gb on my 40gb hd...
>>>
>>>  i copied (and deleted) the the "itunes" folder from my "music" folder
>>>  to a 30gb partition (called "off_music") on an external 80gb fw lacie
>>>  drive.
>>>  i opened itunes, went into the preferences and told it were the new
>>>  folder was, clicked ok, and then consolidated my library ("regrouper=20=
>
>>>  la
>>>  biblioth=E8que" in french), but nothing happens...
>>>
>>>  am i missing something?
>>
>>  You want to go to the iTunes preferences, click Advanced, then click=20=
>
>>  Change
>>  and navigate to your new folder's location. Click OK after you've done=20=
>
>>  this,
>>  and everything should be fine.
>>
>i did exactly that. but nothing happens...

itunes can be a bit flaky if you point it to an external drive...then
later if you launch itunes and it doesn't see the external drive, the
setting reverts to your itunes folder. i just sent a suggestion to
apple asking for a dialog box to be presented if the preferred
location is not accessible.

don