[X4U] Virtual PC 7 Problem

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Dec 19 20:51:20 PST 2004

>Well, I wouldn't go straight to worthless, I use VPC quite a bit.  I guess I
>found early on that it was a bit dodgy when trying to write or use virtual
>drives that pointed to Mac directories - so I've always treated like a
>separate machine - but on my Mac.  When I want or need to move stuff, I just
>drag and drop.

I'd accepted the inability to work directly with virtual drives
pointed at Mac folders.  However, I'm more than a little upset that
it managed to completely corrupt it's own emulator image.  Though I
must confess to also being a little upset with myself for not having
backed it up.

>My only complaint is that my VPC image takes 15 gig and I know that I don't
>have that much in it - ah well.  I've thought about wiping it out and
>starting from scratch again, but I've got too much stuff installed in that
>bad boy.

Disk sizes are really weird, if you install a different OS from
scratch, the emulator image can take only a few MB of disk space.
They seem to decide from the scratch to expand the WinXP Pro disk
image.

VPC does have its uses, it's fine if you're not doing something that
requires a lot of disk I/O.  Unfortunately I bought it to handle a
couple of apps that do just that.  As a result, it looks like there
is only one application that I use that it's suited for.

		Zane