[X4U] readying iMacs for sale

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Dec 23 15:58:30 PST 2004

On Dec 23, 2004, at 7:14 pm, Mary C.Youra wrote:

> My two college age daughters recently decided to replace their Indigo
> iMac 500s [which] came with disks for OS 9.2.2 and 10.1..5, but have
> been upgraded to 10.3.5. What should be done to get them ready for
> sale? What is customary, and what is necessary from a security
> standpoint?

Customary would be to format & install with the latest Panther disks,
then throw on as much warez as possible (including but not limited to
Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Shake, iLife and Macromedia
Studio MX) then list them on eBay as "$$$1000s of software included!"
Adding a small note at the bottom of the listing stating "software is
pre-loaded & installation CDs are not included" is also customary, as
is auctioning your original disks separately.

Others have pointed out the more appropriate way to prepare the iMacs
for sale, so I only mention what is sometimes customary because it
miffs me so much that listings such as <http://tinyurl.com/3ze6o> and
<http://tinyurl.com/4t6h9> seem to persist on eBay.

Stroller.