DMZ

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Tue Jul 6 10:50:38 PDT 2004

My router lets me specify a DMZ for one (only one at a time) of my
computers.
As I understand, the main purpose of the DMZ is to facilitate
game-playing, and
it does this by opening all incoming ports to the specified computer.

I'm not playing games, but AOL is being blocked by the router, and the
DMZ is
the only way to run the AOL client.

Anyone have a link to a clear explanation of the threat potential of
using the DMZ?

The OS X Sharing pref panel provides a firewall with port protection;
doesn't this
mitigate the potential negative effects of the DMZ on this machine?

Anyone succeed in installing AOL for X behind a Netgear WGR614v4 router
under
MacOS 10.3.4?

TIA, Jon