[X4U] Backup Strategies - Need Recommendations!

Joe Sporleder joe at beloit-kansas.com
Wed Nov 3 12:28:49 PST 2004

I have a small newspaper publishing network that averages 8
workstations, most are running the latest version of MacOS X Panther,
and an old one is running MacOS X Jaguar, plus a PowerMac G5 running
MacOS X Panther Server. I have on one of my volumes on the server a
folder called Backup Central, and inside a folder with the name of each
one of my co-workers, which would be wonderful if they could at least
save their user folder on their workstation to this folder, with iCal,
Address Book and Mail data being the most critical of importance. In
the old days before MacOS X, a Finder copy was sufficient, but with the
growth of our amount of data, and MacOS X permissions, I'm looking for
a bit more elegant solution and use a real backup program. Finally, I
would like to backup that volume, plus 3 others on my server containing
my design program's files, photoshop files, various FileMaker databases
and so on, to one or two external firewire drives that I can disconnect
and take home at the end of the day as an offsite backup.

Backing up from my Server to a Firewire drive on my workstation just
with a Finder copy works fine. However, backing up User accounts from
various workstations I have had mixed results, with MacOS X complaining
about I don't have sufficient permissions for some items to copy to my
backup area on the server. Often after tinkering with the user
directory, it turns out to be an obscure preferences for a program that
I've long since deleted from the workstation. Deleting the offending
file is often the only way past it, as trying to change permissions
from the Finder or using Disk Utility to repair permissions doesn't
always work.

Therefore, I'm now looking for a good commercial backup program for my
server and my network, and is smart enough to get past any permission
problems, and finally, a smart copy that only backs up the files that
have changed, as the amount of data I must now backup requires that
level of efficiency (each of 3 crucial volumes on my server contain an
average of 12GB of important data). I tried Retrospect a couple of
times, but that was well before switching to MacOS X about a year and
1/2 ago, and I wasn't too impressed with it then. Has anyone used Data
Backup by Prosoft Engineering? It looks promising and it looks like I
can outfit several workstations economically.

Joe