[X4U] Mount Mac firewire drive on Windows?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Nov 13 17:27:08 PST 2004

On Nov 13, 2004, at 8:45 pm, Anne-Marie Concepcion wrote:

> I've got everything working in a 2-Mac/1-PC network, everyone can
> mount everyone else's main drives using the OS's built-in software.
> (Macs are 10.3.5, PC is Windows XP Pro, SP2).
>
> But... the one thing I need to do I can't figure out. I have a
> Firewire hanging off one of my Macs. I want to turn this into a "quasi
> file server" so the Macs and the PC can all read/write to it.
>
> I can't figure out which network address to tell Windows to add a
> Network Connection for the firewire drive.

It's the network address of whatever Mac it's connected to, silly!

The article you refer to mentions the /etc/smb.conf file. It's much
abbreviated from Samba's distribution example, but if you add something
like:

[Something]
     comment = Wot it sez.
     path = /Volumes/Some\ Thing/
     guest account = guest
     valid users = stroller
     writeable = Yes
     guest ok = Yes

You will probably do ok. You may need to put quotes around the path, if
it has a space in it.

Remember that one network address can have multiple network shares. If
you want to understand what's going on, check out the
<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html> - it might take a little
while to assimilate, but any GUI tools that other posters may suggest
will only act as editors for the smb.conf file, so that file is worth
spending time on.

Stroller.