[X4U] Filesharing between OS9 and OSX

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Thu Oct 21 19:01:23 PDT 2004

On Oct 21, 2004, at 8:19 PM, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> I've never been able to get the file sharing working right between our
> OS9
> machines and our OSX machines. Between OSX works perfectly but I can't
> see
> anything in the Chooser I have type in the IP number manually. That
> works
> most of the time but then it has its moments when even that doesn't
> work.
> The OSX machines are better at seeing the OS9 machines but then there
> are
> times when that doesn't work either. It's a bit frustrating and
> seemingly
> quite random. I have all the file sharing setup properly on all the
> all the
> boxes. We've only got 12 Macs all but 3 are OSX so it's not an issue
> most of
> the time. What might be the problem is that we are networked through a
> Windows 2003 server. That's all I can offer. If you find a solution
> let me
> know.

Well, my solution has been to restart the OS X machines that the OS 9
machines can't see.  After restart, they show up in the chooser.
There's much ado about this sort of thing in the Apple Support
Discussions, but I'm going to send some feedback to Apple hoping it
will get fixed in a point upgrade (but I'm not holding my breath).

Peter

A little computer haiku:
I can't remember
the last time I restarted
I love OS X

This message sent with Mail.app 1.3.9 on Mac OS X 10.3.5