[X4U] Re: Readiris 9.0 Problem

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Apr 12 11:30:21 PDT 2005

George Harvey said:

>I use OmniPage Pro X instead, although its modest error rate requires
>quite a bit of work making corrections. I hope that there will be an
>update to this program to make it a little more accurate and handier to
>use with my Epson 2450 scanner.

I'm afraid that there will be no updates to OmniPage Pro.  The developer,
Caere, went out of business 5 years ago, and their assets were purchased
by ScanSoft.

ScanSoft, as far as I can tell, doesn't do any software development. They
purchase products and sell them until they are no longer popular, at
which time they discontinue them.  Examples: TextBridge, PaperPort,
ViaVoice.

This is very sad, because even 5 years later OmniPage Pro is still by far
the best OCR program for the Macintosh (as you have found.)  However,
ScanSoft's tech support for the product is abysmal.  (Especially if one
is silly enough to pay $500 for the product, instead of $150 for the
upgrade version.)

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html