[X4U] Let's start the FUD presses.

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Fri Apr 15 12:52:10 PDT 2005

On Apr 15, 2005, at 14:08, James S Jones wrote:

> Thurrot's piece discusses only 'features' and concludes they aren't
> that big an advance. Tiger's big advances are in the basics, like
> optimizing for the IBM PPC 970 series and beyond, Core Image, and
> other optimizations to various foundation classes that improve
> performance. Core Image should prove to be a big deal for Apple's key
> video and graphics customers and opens the door for Macs to be a much
> more competitive platform for games and other consumer entertainment
> purposes.

I agree.  However, there's one thing that struck a chord with me.  If
what he says is true of the haphazard and inconsistent interface
changes, then that is a negative point on Apple.  The Aqua environment
is, in my opinion, beautiful, and part of the appeal is the consistency
among application windows.  But if Apple keeps changing the rules, or
worse, mix-n-matching different design decisions within different
applications, then that sort of violates the integrity of the "look and
feel".

I haven't seen Tiger yet (only the promotional screenshots), and my OS
X experience is limited to the few weeks I've been using Panther (I'm a
recent Windows convert), so I would like to know the opinion of other
Mac users from this list regarding those points from Thurrot's article
concerning the UI changes to, for instance, Mail.app.

P.S. I personally like the mailbox "drawer" feature of Mail.app and
iCal, but that's just me :)

	dZ.

--
"Bastard Operators don't just win.  Anyone can win.  Bastard Operators
win and totally demoralise.  That's real winning."

	-- BOfH