[X4U] Let's start the FUD presses.

Ted Burton egburton at cableone.net
Sat Apr 16 11:15:34 PDT 2005

At 9:19 PM +1200 on 4/16/05, Jamie Kahn Genet spoke about Re: [X4U]
Let's start the FUD presses. thusly:

Personal tastes, of course, are not debatable. One either likes or
does not like something, and persuasion in that area is largely
useless. That being said, let me say what I have done to solve some
problems as I saw them.

>One area I agree on with Thurrot (and many others) is I hate
>essentially being forced to use the Dock as my application
>launcher,or at the very least have it occupy the bottom of my screen
>or pop up when ever I muse to the bottom :-(

I have moved Dock to the left side of my screen, and 99.999% of the
applications respect that location and offset their windows to the
right accordingly.

>I wish the Dock were an optional program. It's a pretty useless
>launcher because it easily gets overfull and far too tiny on small
>screens (try using it on original 15" iMacs or 12" iBooks) and
>folders all look alike (gah! WTF were they thinking?).

I have removed from the Dock (by dragging off it) everything that is
not open next to always anyway. I then dragged my applications folder
to the Dock, and as a result by clicking and holding on that folder
in the dock I get a hierarchical menu of all my applications.

>or the good old Apple Menu (I'm still not sure what Apple thought
>was so bad about it - sure, it was an old idea, but old doesn't
>always mean outdated or bad).

FruitMenu, a shareware application available through
<http://www.versiontracker.com/> brings it back. You can then
customize to your heart's content.

I have enough applications in my Applications folder, many added
shareware and freeware applications, that I have sorted them all into
subfolders for Productivity, Games, Utilities (Apple already provided
that one), Interface Tweak, and so forth. With my App folder in the
Dock and each subfolder in FruitMenu I can get most anything quickly
enough. I find I use the Dock more than FruitMenu, once Apple fixed
the Dock to provide hierarchical menus.
--

Jesus Christ was a Jew, and a Liberal.