[X4U] DVD regions code

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Apr 19 02:30:14 PDT 2005

On Apr 19, 2005, at 1:37 am, Norman Cohen wrote:

> For the original poster, I believe the program MacTheRipper.app will
> allow one to reset the region code of their DVD-ROM drive in their
> Mac. <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715>.

If I recall correctly, even when the region code is removed from the
firmware of the optical drive, there is still another mechanism within
Mac OS (or DVD player) that records a region & which can be changed
also only 5 times.

Flashing the drive region-free is a great improvement, but this is
still a pain. I was about to say "as it requires an o/s reinstall to
circumvent", but perhaps there's just a preferences file somewhere that
can be deleted. Last time I tried it on a PC, region-removal was much
more mature, but clearly there are a lot more people interested in
hacking that platform.

Ridiculous stuff like region codes just inspires in me a complete lack
of respect for the entertainment industry, and makes me feel like
justice is being done by copyright pirates.

Stroller.