[X4U] Thoughts on Spotlight?

Neil Cadsawan rainer3 at mac.com
Sat Apr 30 14:31:55 PDT 2005

On Apr 30, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> Does anyone have any thoughts about how useful Spotlight is, or any
> tips on using it?
>
> I must confess, so far I'm totally unimpressed, although at the
> same time I wasn't very excited about it to start with.
>
>         Zane

The cool thing about Spotlight is how well it works in combination
with other new features in Tiger such as Automator, Smart Folders and
Tiger's new implementation of meta data.

Yes, Spotlight can find files and such based on simple criteria (i.e.
dates, names, file types, etc.) but it's true power comes when you're
searching for items based on their meta data.  Images that are cmyk
and 1024x768 for example.

One thing that's added to files, if you "get info" on an item, is an
area called "Spotlight Comments".  It's the area just below the
item's icon and name.  This is an area where you can add your own
meta data to the item.  Let's say you have a group of files for a
project at work.  These files consist of images, documents, movies,
sound files, anything and everything.  Spotlight won't find all the
files for a project, unless perhaps you name them all with a specific
word.  But what you can do is enter information into this "Spotlight
Comments" area to give them more meaningful information.

What Tiger doesn't do well is let you select a group of items and let
you edit this information directly from this selection. I expect that
happen in a future update.  If you "get info" on all these items as
they're selected, you get a bunch of Info windows popping up and
would have to enter in information one by one.  Not good. But what
Tiger does give you is Automator.  With Automator, you can create an
action that will give all these various files "Spotlight Comments" in
one fell swoop.  To make it even easier, you can save this Automator
action as a menu script, or even better, a folder action.

Now with our hypothetical project, once we either create a new file,
or are emailed a related file for this project, we can just drop in
on a folder with folder actions attached, and Automator will "tag"
all the files with the specified meta data.

Now... getting back to Spotlight... When you perform a search for
files related to this project, you can just search for words you
entered as "Spotlight Comments", and all these various files appear
in your Spotlight results.  That is the power of Spotlight.  Throw in
a smart folder that contains this same "Spotlight Comments" criteria,
and you've got a folder that now contains all these files, no matter
where they live on your hard drive.

-Neil Cadsawan