[X4U] Powerbook G4

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Feb 5 13:28:35 PST 2005

On Feb 5, 2005, at 2:35 pm, Robert Ameeti wrote:
> <Randy B. Singer said>
>
>> What's not to like?
>
> Obviously, you are not a progressive thinker. I fully understand why
> this user is anxious for a G5 PowerBook, but for me, I'm going to wait
> until Apple comes out with a real PowerBook. One that has the dual
> processors. If Apple can put them in the desktop, why shouldn't we
> have them in our PowerBooks. Why is Jobs holding us back from a
> worthwhile upgrade?

Because dual-core PPC CPUs are not yet available, and because
dual-processors for laptops only become practical once suppliers make
them available both on a single chip.

You're right that we might well see dual-core G4 Powerbokos before we
see G5 ones - in many tests a dual-processor 1.25 G4 PowerMac will beat
a single-processor 1.6 G5, which has a much faster FSB - but it is not
the case that Apple are in some way "holding us back" or being stingy
with the available technology.

Stroller.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=utf8&oe=utf8&q=dual-core+powerbook
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-core