[X4U] Mac external HD access from windows XP

Hector Luna polonius19 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 12:20:36 PST 2005

let me try this again, my first attempt was blocked by the list mom
for being to big.

--
my bad, the thread was on the Ti PowerBook list, not X4U. this guy
recommends using SWAT to do this, i edited the file by hand, and it

this is the first part:
--
For advanced configuration of Samba, use SWAT (Samba Web Administration
Tool).  First you have to enable it.  To do so open a Terminal window,

Click on your desktop to refresh it.  You'll see two files appear on
your desktop named 'services' and 'inetd.conf'.  Drag n drop 'services'
on TextEdit to open it.  Scroll down to the 900 section and paste the
following line in:
swat    901/tcp    #samba configuration server

Save the file on your desktop.

Do the same with 'inetd.conf' and add the following line at the bottom
of the file:
swat stream tcp nowait.400 root  /usr/sbin/swat swat

Save that file on your desktop too.

Now drag n drop the following two commands into an open Terminal window
again:
sudo cp ~/Desktop/services /etc/
cudo cp ~/Desktop/inetd.conf /etc/

Reboot the machine.

Open Safari and access SWAT at http://127.0.0.1:901 as root.
--

this part references some the issues re: using SWAT in Panther:
--

Open the file with TextEdit and append the following to it:

service swat
{
port = 901
socket_type = stream
wait = no
only_from = localhost
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/swat
server_args = -a
log_on_failure += USERID
groups = yes
disable = no
}

Save the file and drag n drop this command into the Terminal window:
sudo cp ~/Desktop/xinetd.conf /etc/

Drag n drop this command into Terminal:
ps -ax | grep xinetd

You'll see the xinetd process running there, it'll have a PID (Process
ID) number, and you have to kill it.  To kill it type in:
kill -9 whatever the pid number is

Then drag n drop this command into Terminal, which will restart xinetd.
Alternatively, you can reboot the box:
xinetd with /usr/sbin/xinetd -inetd_compat -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid

Now you'll be able to log in to Samba at http://127.0.0.1:901 from
localhost only without need to authenticate.

As shown in my nifty little screenshot here:
http://astcomm.net/~chris.olson/temp/Samba.jpg
you click on the Shares button to create a new network share.
--

i still think editing smb.conf is easier. to each his own. hope this helps...

--
Polonius19
Chief Malcontent & Misanthrope