[X4U] SMART Drive Status

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Fri Jul 1 18:55:00 PDT 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 6:14 PM, Nick Scalise wrote:

> Thanks guys. I did immediately order another drive for it. I will
> replace it as soon as the new drive arrives using the Tiger DVD's
> Disk Utility 'Restore' function.
>
> The machine is on a regularly scheduled backup to tape routine, so
> we shouldn't lose any files. However, restoring from tape is more
> of a pain than just duping the drive from Restore on the DVD.
>
> Is it safe to assume that the Restore function inside the
> DiskUtility on the Tiger DVD will do exactly what I'm looking for,
> right?

It will. This works for 10.3.0 and above. Reposting the quickie guide:

To backup,
Hook up the dupe drive via FW, or internally if you're on a G5 tower.
I recommend FW if at all possible, as the different icons will make
it less likely to restore the wrong drive by accident.

Boot to the DVD, open Disk Utility.
Select a drive. Click the restore tab.
Select the hard drive to backup as the "source"
Select the blank drive as "target".
Do the needful.

To test, open Startup Disk, select the new backup, and reboot. If
your backup was successful, it should boot from the backup drive.
Note that this is just a quick test - not  a checksum.

To restore, do the same, but swap "source" and "target" drives.
Open Startup Disk and select the newly restored drive. Restart.

--
Scott