[X4U] DVD-ROM read problem on iMac

Bob Aldridge aldridgebob63 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 1 15:32:00 PDT 2005

Hello,

I am helping an older fellow upgrade his iMac 700 MHz Lamp Style iMac. He is
running 10.3.9 and he¹s wanting to upgrade to 10.4.

I inserted the Tiger install disk into the built-in DVD-ROM/CD-RW and the
iMac returns the error:

³Error code ­43², and then it kicks it out.

Oddly enough, the CD-ROM part of the drive works. Inserting a CD shows up on
the desktop. Just whenever a DVD is inserted, it will not read it, returning
the ­43 stuff.

I have used the same Tiger install disk on his iBook so I know it works.
Other DVD (movies,etc) do not work either on this iMac.

Could just the DVD portion of the DVD-ROM drive be broken? I have not heard
of such a situation but maybe so.

I booted the problem iMac from an external firewire HD with 10.4 on it and
inserted the 10.4 install into the iMac DVD drive, same error. So that
probably indicated the s/w on the iMac is not the issue.

Has anyone run across this error before that can tell me what is happening?
Also, by chance what is an ­43 error?

--Bob Aldridge
Huntsville, Al